Friday, June 28, 2013

What's Cooking: Chickpeas, Sweet Potatoes, Plantain

It looks like I'm going to have to migrate my "What's Cooking" tab to just a regular post on the blog. I didn't realize that I couldn't refresh the tab without a) deleting the previous post b) having overlong streams of recipe info. So, each recipe will be a post. Live and Learn!

In my quest to cook healthier meals for El Hubster and I, while saving money on groceries, I came up with this quick and super easy recipe.


Here are my ingredients. They're pretty basic. 

1 large sweet potato 
1 large plantain
Can of chickpeas
Olive oil
Salt
Black pepper
Onion
Tomato
Garlic
Cut up your onions and tomatoes and garlic.

I peeled and halved my sweet potato.

I ended up not using the whole potato, so I only diced half.
I cut the remaining half into strips and froze it for use in some other recipe.

I sauteed the diced sweet potatoes using about 2/3 cup of water for about 20 minutes. It was way too long. By the time I got back to them they were pretty mushy. Give it 10 minutes instead.
I added my can of chickpeas, onion, garlic tomato, a little olive oil and two cubes of tomato paste.Cook over medium heat until most of water evaporates...about 15 minutes.

Did you know you can freeze leftover tomato paste in an ice cube tray for later use?? Before I discovered the joys of freezing things, I would just leave leftover tomato sauce in the fridge, where it would inevitably spoil because I forgot about it. This tip changed my cooking life! Now, I have tomato sauce/paste in a convenient size and I can add it to anything.

While my chickpeas mixture was doing its thing, I fried up some plantains and tried not to eat them before dinner.
Here's what it looks like after 20 minutes...I added salt and pepper to taste and let it cook a little more to get rid of the water.
Here's the finished meal! I devoured it and it was very filling. I went back for seconds because I'm a greedy pregnant woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment